Our most popular entry-level course, the Swim Australia™ Teacher (SAT) has the competence and knowledge to teach swimming and water safety to independent learners from ages 2 ½ upward with an emphasis on safety, fun and skill development.
This course delivers the skills, knowledge and assessment to gain the competencies required to deliver GST free, water-related personal safety and survival lessons as determined by the federal government.
All enrolled Swim Australia course students are covered by SCTI Insurance for the duration of their course and will receive complimentary ASCTA Membership upon being accredited*
Units of Competency
This course covers the following units within the Certificate III of Aquatics and Recreation:
- SISCAQU002 Perform basic water rescues
- SISCAQU008 Instruct water familiarisation, buoyancy and mobility skills
- SISCAQU009 Instruct water safety and survival skills
- SISCAQU010 Instruct swimming strokes
- SISCCRO302A Apply legal and ethical instructional skills
After completion of all online Units of Competency you will be provided with a Theory Acknowledgement. You will then be welcome to attend the Practical Induction workshop of your course which focuses on transitioning you from theory to hands on practical.
Once the Practical Induction is complete you will be required to undertake On the Job training under the supervision and direction of a Lead Teacher of your sourcing. As your confidence and ability grows you will progressively become more involved in the lesson delivery and a Competency Assessment will then determine that you are at the required standard to work independently.
Students have up to 12 months to complete this course but may be accredited sooner should they have completed and submitted all course requirements.
- Online Theory component – approx. 30 hrs
- Face to Face Practical workshop – 8 hrs
- On the job training – approx. 20 to 30 hrs
- Competency Assessment – 1.5 hrs
- Swimming in Australia
- Practical Biomechanics
- Introduction to Water
- Water Safety & Aquatic Survival
- Swimming Strokes
- Excellence in Teaching
- Lesson Planning
- Incident Reporting
- Online Theory Modules
- Practical Workshop Induction
- On the Job Training
- Competency Assessment
- Accumulative Training Record
- Accredited and Valid CPR qualification (HLTAID001, 002, 003, 004 or 007)
- Current Working with Children Check
- Unique Student Identifier (USI)
You may enroll in a Swim Australia™ Teacher course at 16 years of age but are not eligible to receive the accreditation until you are 17 years of age.
Certification | Accreditation
Students who have successfully completed this course will receive an electronic Swim Australia Teacher certificate along with a Statement of Attainment listing the above competencies.
All Swim Australia Teacher qualifications are valid for 3 years from the date of accreditation.
In addition, newly accredited teachers will receive complementary General ASCTA Membership for the current financial year.